Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Let them eat cake!
Thoughts: My grandma C. made the best desserts. We always looked forward to her tasty treats when we would visit on sunday afternoon.

Most sundays my parents come to dinner at my home. This past sunday I thought I would make for my dad one of his mother's delicious desserts. Applesauce cake with penuche frosting. It was yummy, but the best part were the fond memories that we shared about Grandma C.

Things: Applesauce Cake

2 cups flour, sifted before measuring

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup raisins, optional

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional

1/2 cup melted butter

2 cups applesauce

Directions for applesauce cake: In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add raisins, chopped nuts, melted butter, and applesauce. Beat until well blended. Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool before frosting. This cake also makes a delicious snack cake without the frosting.

Penuche Frosting

1/2 cup buter

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/4 cup milk

2 cups powdered sugar, more of less

In a sauce pan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add the brown sugar. Bring to boil and lower the heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat until thick enough to speard. If too thick, add a little hot water. Frost cake. Eat!



4 comments:

  1. I'm really going to try this one! Thanks Joy!

    -Miken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that beautiful cake plate! And what a delicious-looking recipe! I think penuche is just about my favorite thing in the world--so thanks for this wonderful recipe!

    Hope you're having a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that frosting...my mom has a recipe for apricot cake...I will share with you! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there really no es in this Recipe????

    ReplyDelete